Gurpreet Singh (Schedule)
AREAS OF INTEREST
Nanomechanics, Materials Science (Ceramics) and Heat Transfer
Ph.D., MECHANICAL ENGINEERING, University of Colorado at Boulder, CO (Dec. 2007)
Dissertation Title: Nanodevices for applications in life sciences and engineering; fabrication and mechanical characterization.
M.S., MECHANICAL ENGINEERING, University of Colorado at Boulder, CO (May 2006)
Thesis Title: The mechanical strength of Aluminum-Spinel interfaces.
B.E., MECHANICAL ENGINEERING, Govt. College of Engineering Pune, India (Aug. 2003)
July 2009- Present:
Assistant Professor, Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering Department, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS 66506
May 2009 - Present:
Guest Researcher/ Visiting Scholar, National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), Boulder, CO 80305
January 2008 - July 2009:
Postdoctoral Associate, Institute for Critical Technology and Applied Science, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA 24061
ME 840: Introduction to Nanoscience and Nanotechnology
ME 533: Machine Design-I
PEER REVIEWED ARCHIVAL JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS
1. L. David, R. Bhandavat, G. Kulkarni, S. Pahwa, Z. Zhong, and G. Singh*. Synthesis of Graphene Films by Rapid Heating and Quenching at Ambient Pressures and Their Electrochemical Characterization. ACS- Applied Materials and Interfaces DOI: 10.1021/am301782h (2013).
2. R. Bhandavat, and G. Singh*. Improved Electrochemical Capacity of Precursor-Derived Si(B)CN-Carbon Nanotube Composite as Li-ion Battery Anode. ACS- Applied Materials and Interfaces DOI: 10.1021/am3015795 (2012).
3. R. Bhandavat, L. David and G. Singh*. Synthesis of Surface Functionalized WS2 Nanosheets and Performance as Li-ion Battery Anode. Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters 3 (11), 1523–1530 (2012).
4. R. Bhandavat and G. Singh*. Synthesis, Characterization, and High Temperature Stability of Si(B)CN -Coated Carbon Nanotubes Using a Boron-Modified Poly(ureamethylvinyl)Silazane Chemistry. Journal of the American Ceramic Society 95 (5), 1536–1543 (2012).
5. R. Bhandavat, W. Kuhn, E. Mansfield, J. Lehman and G. Singh*. Synthesis of Polymer-Derived Ceramic Si(B)CN-Carbon Nanotube Composite by Microwave-Induced Interfacial Polarization. ACS- Applied Materials and Interfaces 4 (1), 11–16 (2012).
6. G. Singh*, A. Slifka, P. Rice, D. Lauria and R. L. Mahajan. Optical trapping in air of an individual nanotube-sphere device. Applied Physics Express, 5-095001 (2012).
7. R. Bhandavat*, M. Cologna and G. Singh. Polymer-derived ceramic SiOC-CNT paper for use in Li-ion batteries. Nanomaterials and Energy Journal (2012) DOI: 10.1680/nme.11.00008. (Written by graduate student).
8. R. Bhandavat*, Z.J. Pei, and G. Singh. Polymer-derived ceramics as anode material for rechargeable Li-ion batteries: a review. Nanomaterials and Energy Journal Volume 1, Issue 6, 324 –337 (2012). (Written by graduate student).
9. A.J. Slifka, G. Singh*, D.S. Lauria, P. Rice, and R.L. Mahajan. Observations of nanobubble formation on Carbon nanotubes. Applied Physics Express 3 (6) Art: 065103 (2010). Also selected for the Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology. (http://www.vjnano.org).
10. J.H. Lehman*, K.E. Hurst, G. Singh, E. Mansfield, J.D. Perkins, and C.L. Cromer. Core–shell composite of SiCN and multiwalled carbon nanotubes from toluene dispersion. Journal of Materials Science 45:4251–4254 (2010).
11. J. Zhang, J. Ge, M. Shultz, E. Chung, G. Singh, C. Shu, P. Fatouros, S. Henderson, F. Corwin, D. Geohegan, A. Puretzky, C. Rouleau, K. More, C. Rylander, M. Rylander, H. Gibson and H. Dorn*. In Vitro and in Vivo Studies of Single-Walled Carbon Nanohorns with Encapsulated Metallofullerenes and Exohedrally Functionalized Quantum Dots. Nano Letters DOI: 10.1021/nl100863 (2010).
12. G. Singh*, S. Priya, M. Hossu, S. R. Shah, S. Grover, Ali R Koymen, and R. L. Mahajan. Synthesis, electrical and magnetic characterization of core-shell carbon nanotube – SiCN nanowires. Materials Letters, Volume 63, Issue 28, Pg 2435-2438: (2009).
13. V. Bedekar, G. Singh*, R.L. Mahajan, and S. Priya. Synthesis and microstructural characterization of Barium Titanate nanoparticles decorated SiCN-MWCNT nanotubes – “nanoNecklace”. Ferroelectrics Letters Section, Volume 36, Issue, 5-6 Pg 133-140 (2009).
14. G. Singh*, P. Rice, R.L. Mahajan, and J.R. McIntosh. Fabrication and characterization of a CNT based nano-knife. Nanotechnology, 20 095701 (2009).
15. M. Karmarkar, G. Singh, S. Shah, R.L. Mahajan, and S. Priya*. Large piezoresistivity phenomenon in SiCN – (La,Sr)MnO3 composites. Applied Physics Letters, 94, 072902 (2009). Also selected for the Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology. (http://www.vjnano.org).
16. J.J. Brown*, J.W. Suk, G. Singh, A.I. Baca, D.A. Dikin, R.S. Ruoff, and V.M. Bright. Microsystem for nanofiber electromechanical measurements, Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Volume 155, Issue 1 Pg 1-7 (2009).
17. T. Dennis*, S. Dyer, A. Dienstfrey, G. Singh, and P. Rice. Analyzing quantitative light scattering spectra of phantoms measured with optical coherence tomography. Journal of Biomedical Optics, 13, 024004 (2008). Also selected for the Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology. (http://www.vjnano.org).
18. G. Singh*, P. Rice, and R. L. Mahajan. Fabrication and mechanical characterization of a force sensor based on an individual carbon nanotube. Nanotechnology, 18 475501 (2007). Among most downloaded articles: across all IOP journals only ten percent of articles were accessed over 250 times in the quarter, 2007.
19. G. Singh*, P. Rice, K. Hurst, J.H. Lehman, and R.L. Mahajan. Laser-induced exfoliation of amorphous carbon layer on an individual multiwall carbon nanotube. Applied Physics Letters, 91, 033101 (2007). Also selected for the Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology (http://www.vjnano.org) and featured in nanotechweb.org
20. G. Singh, Y. Yu, F. Ernst, and R. Raj*. Shear strength and sliding at a metal–ceramic (aluminum–spinel) interface at ambient and elevated temperatures. Acta Materialia, 55 (9), 3049-3057 (2007).
PEER REVIEWED CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS
1. V. Bedekar, G. Singh, R.L. Mahajan and S. Priya. Barium titanate and Cobalt ferrite nano-particles decorated SiCN/MWCNT nanotubes: synthesis and microstructural characterization, Ceramic Transactions (2010).
2. J.J. Brown, J.W. Suk, G. Singh, D.A. Dikin, R.S. Ruoff, and V.M. Bright. Microsystem for electromechanical measurements of carbon nanofiber loading and failure, A Solid-State Sensors, Actuators and Microsystems Workshop, Hilton Head Island, SC 29928 (2008).
3. G. Singh, P. Rice, JR. McIntosh and R. L. Mahajan. Fabrication and mechanical characterization of carbon nanotube based nanoknives. IMECE2006-14659. ASME Chicago, Illinois USA 2006. Also featured in NIST technical beat.
1. Advances in Nanomaterials and Nanostructures: Ceramic Transactions, Volume 229. John Wiley & Sons, ISBN: 978-1-1180-6002-5
2. Processing and Properties of Advanced Ceramics and Composites V: Ceramic Transactions, Volume 240, John Wiley & Sons.
1. "Synthesis and characterization of polymer-derived Si(B)CN-carbon nanotube nanowires for applications in energy devices", NSF-EPSCoR Kansas Center for Solar Energy Research, September 2011.
2. “Synthesis, Characterization and Testing of Polymer-derived Ceramic Composite Nanowires”, 35th International Conference and Exposition on Advanced Ceramics and Composites, Daytona Beach, FL, January 2011.
3. “Nanotechnology Solutions For Energy Harvesting”, 4th Annual Energy Harvesting Workshop, Blacksburg,Virginia, January 2009.
4. “Nanofabrication in the Dual Beam Focused Ion Beam (FIB)”, Nanomaterials Characterization Facility, University of Colorado at Boulder, August 2008.
5. “Fabrication and Mechanical Characterization of Individual Carbon Nanotube Based Devices”, Intel Corp., Hillsboro OR, July 2007.
- Reviewer for: (1) Journal of Microscopy, (2) Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, (3) ASME- IMECE 2009, (4) ASME Summer Heat Transfer Conference 2009, (5) Journal of the American Ceramic Society, (6) Applied Physics Letters, (7) Acta Biomaterialia, (8) Experimental Mechanics, (9) IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology, (10) Polymer Journal, (11) The Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering, (12) IEEE Sensors Journal, (13) International Journal of Smart and Nano Materials, (14) Electrochemistry Communications, (15) Nature-Scientific Reports, (16) ACS-Applied Materials and Interfaces, (17) Journal of Physical Chemistry-C, (18) Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, and (19) Nature Communications.
- Memberships: ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers), ACerS (American Ceramic Society), ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials) and Sigma Xi.