About the Reactor
The Kansas State University TRIGA Mk II Reactor provides services for education, research, and training, and outreach. The reactor is licensed to operate at up to 1250 kWth. At the present time the reactor facility can be used for the following experiments:
Neutron activation analysis
- Analysis by trained staff using HPGe spectrometers
- nvt = ~108 – 1018 neutrons / cm2
- Up to ~100 krad / hr for samples below 50 mL in size
- Up to ~1 krad / hr for samples up to 20 L in size
- Up to 3" dia. sample size
- Four beam ports with distinct neutron spectra
- 252Cf neutron / gamma source
Neutron detector testing
The reactor can be operated for $150 / hour (on-campus experimenters) to $225 / hour (off-campus experimenters). This fee is typically waived for outreach activities.
Note: If you would like to schedule a tour or experiment at the reactor, please contact Dr. Jeff Geuther at firstname.lastname@example.org.